I simply love aubergines. They’re light, healthy and delicious. My favourite recipe is very simple, just baked in medium-sizes cubes, with spices. I also love it as a dip .
But today I woke up a bit traditional, ha, ha, and I decided to prepare my mum’s classic stuffed aubergine recipe. I added my personal touch: a bit of ginger and hot chilli, I’m sure she won’t mind. 😉
This is a classic, with minced meat and tomato sauce, simple and delicious. A classic bolognese sauce with a twist.
Stuffed aubergines (eggplant)
- Servings: 2
- Time: 45 minutos
- Dificulty: easy.
- 1 big aubergine
- 250 g minced meat (veal)
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 red onion
- 2 carrots
- 1 can of tomatoes (400 g)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp hot chilli
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- olive oil
- Preheat oven 180 º C.
- Cut the aubergine in halves. Once open, make a few cuts on the inside, making squares on the white aubergine flesh. Sprinkle some salt and pepper, and olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes, until it is slightly golden.
- Add some salt, pepper and the crushed garlics to the minced meat. Mix well. Take a wide pan and stir fry with 2/3 tbsp of olive oil until the meat is golden and slightly crispy. Leave aside.
- Peel and cut the onion and carrots in tiny bits, and stir fry with 2/3 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Once the aubergines are roasted, with a big spoon clean the interior of each half, and add the aubergine meat to the onion&carrot mix. Blend, and add the minced meat. Mix well, and add all the spices.
- Pour in the tomatoes and stir. Once it’s boiling, turn the heat down, cover and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Fill the aubergines with the sauce and grill for 5 minutes until slightly golden and crispy on top.
- If the aubergines are small, use one per person, unless you’re on a diet. 😉
- Instead of veal, you can use chicken, pork, lamb, etc.