This simple recipe can turn your breakfast and snacks into a homemade paradise. 🙂
Basic white bread
Prep time: 2hours 10mins
Cook time: 40mins
500g strong white flour
300ml lukewarm water
7g sachet dried yeast
10g honey (or brown sugar)
- Dissolve honey and yeast in the warm water in a mixing bowl.
- Make the dough by tipping the flour and salt into a large bowl and making a well in the middle. Pour in the water mixture and use a wooden spoon to mix the flour and water together until combined to a slightly wet, workable dough.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for at least 10 mins until smooth and elastic. (This can also be done in a mixer with a dough hook, in fact, I used my Kitchen Aid.)
- Place the dough in a clean bowl, cover with cling film and leave to rise in a warm place (20-25ºC if possible) for an hour, until doubled in size.
- Heat oven to 160ºC. Knock back the dough by tipping it back onto a floured surface and pushing the air out. Mould the dough into the desired shape and place in the tin or mould. Cover with a damp tea towel and leave for 30 mins.
- Dust the top of the loaf with a little more flour and slash the top with a sharp knife (optional, depending on the desired shape).
- Bake the bread for 30-40mins at 160ºC until the loaf sounds hollow when removed from the tin and tapped on the base.
- Leave the bread on a wire rack to cool completely.